Lil Wayne’s Net Worth And Biography (Updated 2022)
Who Is Lil Wayne?
Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., more professionally known as Lil Wayne, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, record executive, and actor. Lil Wayne is widely regarded as one of the greatest rappers of all time and the most influential hip-hop artists of his generation.
Wayne kicked off his music career in 1995 by signing to Birdman’s record label, Cash Money Records. At the time, he was only 12 years old and the youngest member of the label. For the next 23 years, the rapper became Cash Money Records’ flagship artist until June 2018 when he left the label.
|Full Name:||Dwayne Michael Carter Jr.|
|Popular Name:||Lil Wayne|
|Birth Date:||September 27, 1982|
|Parents:||Dwayne Michael Turner and Jacida Carter|
|Siblings:||Has a half-brother named Semaj Carter|
|Birth Place:||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Education:||Lafayette Elementary School, Eleanor McMain Secondary School, Marion Abramson Senior High School, University of Houston, and University of Phoenix|
|Marital Status:||Divorced. Previously married to Toya Johnson (from 2004 until their divorce in 2006)|
|Children:||Reginae Carter (born to ex-wife Toya Johnson), Dwayne III (born to radio broadcaster Sarah Vivan), Cameron Carter (born to actress Lauren London), and Neal Carter (born to singer Nivea)|
|Net Worth:||USD 150 million (as of March 1, 2021)|
|Source of Wealth:||Rapping, Singing, Songwriting, Record Producing, Acting, and Other Ventures|
|Height:||5′ 6″ (1.68 m)|
|Weight:||60 kg; In pounds: 132 lbs.|
Early Life and Career Information
Dwayne Michael Carter Jr. was born on September 27, 1982, in New Orleans, Louisiana, to Dwayne Michael Turner and Jacida Carter. Carter’s parents divorced when he was two years old and his father left the family. Since he never reconnected with his dad, Carter decided to drop the name Dwayne for Wayne.
Lil Wayne took an interest in rapping at a fairly young age. He composed his first rap song when he was eight years old.
In 1991, Wayne met rapper and co-founder of the Cash Money Records, Birdman, who introduced him to hip-hop. At the age of 12, he formally joined Cash Money Records and became the label’s youngest artist.
In 1997, Lil Wayne joined the southern hip-hop group Hot Boys, along with Cash Money label-mates Turk, Juvenile, and Lil Doogie. In October that year, the Hot Boys released their debut album, titled Get It How U Live. The group’s popularity skyrocketed following the release of their album Guerilla Warfare in 1999.
After establishing a name for himself with the Hot Boys, Lil Wayne decided to pursue a solo music career. He released his debut album, Tha Block is Hot, in 1999. The following year, Wayne released his second album, titled ‘Lights Out’, then 500 Degreez in 2002. However, his mainstream success came with the 2004 album, titled ‘That Carter.’ The album was an astounding success, selling 878,000 copies in the U.S.
Lil Wayne has since released 10 more solo albums, including:
• Tha Carter II (2005)
• Tha Carter III (2008)
• Rebirth (2010)
• I Am Not a Human Being (2010)
• Tha Carter IV (2011)
• I Am Not a Human Being II (2013)
• Free Weezy Album (2015)
• Tha Carter V (2018)
• Funeral (2020)
• I Am Not a Human Being III (2021)
Besides singing, Lil Wayne has also made numerous film and television appearances. Wayne made his film debut in the 2000 movie Baller Blockin’. He later landed roles in Who’s Your Caddy? (2007), Hurricane Season (2009), and Freaknik: The Movie (2010, as a voice actor).
On television, Lil Wayne has made several appearances in the sketch comedy show, Saturday Night Live (2004, 2008, and 2010). He also made appearances in The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (2005), Late Show with David Letterman (2009), and The Masked Singer (2020).
Awards and Accolades
Lil Wayne has won numerous awards for his outstanding contribution to the music industry.
The rapper is the recipient of 2 MTV Video Music Awards, 4 Billboard Music Awards, 5 Grammy Awards, 8 NAACP Image Awards, and 11 BET Awards.
Lil Wayne’s Net Worth
Lil Wayne has sold more than 120 million records worldwide, which includes over 15 million albums as well as 37 million digital tracks in the U.S alone. He’s considered one of the best-selling rappers in the world. Wayne is also one of the few music artists who can comfortably earn north of $20 million annually.
The following are his annual earnings over the years:
• 2007 – Earned $12 million
• 2008 – Earned $13 million
• 2009 – Earned $18 million
• 2010 – Earned $20 million
• 2011 – Earned $15 million
• 2012 – Earned $27 million
• 2013 – Earned $16 million
• 2014 – Earned $23 million
• 2015 – Earned $15 million
• 2016 – Earned $14 million
• 2017 – Earned $16 million
• 2018 – Earned $19 million
As of March 1, 2021, Lil Wayne had a net worth of $150 million. That’s enough to earn him a spot among the world’s top 10 richest rappers, which include the following:
• Kanye West with a net worth of $3 billion
• Jay Z with a net worth of $1.1 billion
• Diddy with a net worth of $900 million
• Dr. Dre with a net worth of $870 million
• Master P with a net worth of $250 million
• Eminem with a net worth of $230 million
• Drake with a net worth of $200 million
• Pharrell Williams with a net worth of $160 million
• Snoop Dogg with a net worth of $140 million
Wayne has earned the vast majority of his wealth from music-related ventures, which include rapping, singing, songwriting, and record producing.
The following are his most commercially successful albums and records:
• The album ‘Tha Carter’ – Sold 878,000 copies in the United States
• The single “Go DJ” off the album ‘Tha Carter’ – Peaked at #5 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Chart
• The album Tha Carter II’ – Sold over 238,000 copies during its first week alone
• The album ‘Tha Carter III’ – Sold over 1 million copies during its first week and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
• The single “Lollipop” featuring Static Major, off the album ‘Tha Carter III’ – Topped the Billboard Hot 100
• The single “Got Money” featuring T-Pain, off the album ‘Tha Carter III’ – Peaked at $13 on the Billboard 100
• The album ‘We Are Young Money’ – Sold over 500,000 copies within five months of release and was certified gold by the RIAA
• The album ‘I Am Not a Human Being’ – Sold over 953,000 copies in the United States
• The single “Right Above It” off the album ‘I Am Not a Human Being’ – Peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100
• The album ‘Tha Carter IV’ – Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and sold 964,000 copies within a week of its release
• The album ‘I Am Not a Human Being II’ – Debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 and sold 217,000 copies in its first week
• The album ‘Tha Carter V’ – Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and sold 480,000 album-equivalent units
• The album ‘Funeral’ – Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and sold 139,000 album-equivalent units
Lessons from Lil Wayne
1. Success isn’t dependent on age
Lil Wayne signed to Cash Money Records at the tender age of 12 years. Although he was the label’s youngest member, he eventually became its most successful artist.
2. Strive to be mysterious
The longer you remain mysterious, the easier it is to keep other people attracted to you. Wayne once said, ‘I don’t want to be understood because if people understand me, they get tired of me.’
3. Sometimes you’ve got to chart your own course
After gaining initial recognition courtesy of the hip-hop group Hot Boys, Wayne decided it was time to go solo. As it turned out, this decision paid huge dividends.
Famous Quotes by Lil Wayne
“Everybody know, I don’t do no promoting. I don’t ever have to promote nothing, that’s the beauty of Lil Wayne.”
“Hate is only a form of love that hasn’t found a way to express itself logically.”
“I believe that music is another form of news. Music is another form of journalism to me so I have to cover all the areas with my album.”
“I know it’s an experience that I need to have if God’s putting me through it.”
“Trying to tear down the past prohibits you from building up your future.”
Lil Wayne is an American rapper who began rapping in the early 90s, when he was only twelve years old. Over the years, Wayne has continuously established himself as one of the world’s most influential music artists. He’s also one of the richest rappers alive, with a net worth of $150 million.